Blog

Eating Recovery Center In the News: Vail Daily

Vail Health: Bulimia and the brain Recently, Dr. Ken Weiner spoke to a group of high school counselors at the Colorado High School Counselors Association Annual Conference about eating disorders and brain development. Click here to read the Vail Daily article in its entirety, or see below for an excerpt of the piece. Don't put your kid on a diet, because diets don't work, says Dr. Kenneth Weiner, an expert in eating disorders and brain development. Within three years, 90 percent of people weigh more than they did before the diet. The other 10 percent have built lifestyle changes into their lives, Weiner said. Weiner is co-founder, CEO and chief medical officer of the Eating Recovery Center in Denver and has been treating eating disorders for more than 25 years. He talked to Colorado School Counselors Association's annual conference at the Vail Cascade Resort & Spa on Friday. To help adolescents avoid eating disorders, concentrate on who they are and not what they are, what's on the inside rather than what's on the outside, he said. “We live in an obese society and childhood obesity is going to break the healthcare bank. My patients are the collateral damage,” Weiner said. Nurture vs. nature Eating disorders stem from nurture more than nature, he said, and so many things can feed that beast: Trauma, certain interests and hobbies, modeling, dancing, swimming, violence, culture, media. “For many people with an eating disorder, it's preceded by some sort of trauma,” Weiner said. Still, genetics play a role. Between 40 to 50 percent of the risk is genetic. Fifty to 60 percent is psychosocial. If her mother has it, a girl is 12 times more likely. It's as inheritable as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, Weiner said, and it's treatable. He said 85 percent of people with eating disorders get better within 7-10 years, Weiner said. Read more.

Eating Recovery Center and Pathlight Mood and Anxiety Center are accredited through the Joint Commission. This organization seeks to enhance the lives of the persons served in healthcare settings through a consultative accreditation process emphasizing quality, value and optimal outcomes of services.

Organizations that earn the Gold Seal of Approval™ have met or exceeded The Joint Commission’s rigorous performance standards to obtain this distinctive and internationally recognized accreditation. Learn more about this accreditation here.

Joint Commission Seal