Blog

Eating Recovery Center In the News: Examiner.com

Eating Disorder Treatment in Colorado: Interview with Ken Weiner, MD Dr. Ken Weiner, Founding Partner, Chief Medical Officer and Chief Executive Officer of Eating Recovery Center, recently spoke with Donna Feldman, Denver Health Examiner. In the interview, Dr. Weiner discussed the eating disorder treatment offered at Eating Recovery Center, and provided insight into the decision to pursue a higher level of care for those struggling with eating disorders. See below for an excerpt of Dr. Weiner's Examiner.com interview, or click here to read the article in its entirety.
One of the driving forces behind Denver's growing reputation as a hot spot for cutting edge eating disorder treatment has to be Dr. Ken Weiner, MD.  Dr. Weiner has been treating eating disorders here for over 25 years, and is a founding partner of the Eating Recovery Center, which offers intensive inpatient, residential and outpatient treatment for both adults and adolescents.  The ERC has grown from a 12 bed facility with 40 employees in October 2008 to 46 beds and 235 employees in late 2011, with locations in Lowry and downtown Denver. I spoke with Dr. Weiner about his work, and the ERC recently, and posed the question "How does a person decide that an intensive program like this is right for them?" Weiner: About 85% of eating disordered people do well with multi-disciplinary outpatient treatment.  The other 15%, who are not responding to that need a higher level of care.  Usually the patient is the driving force looking for more care, yet may still be ambivalent.  The ERC offers free assessment to help with the decision.
Examiner: What is the prognosis for recovery from an eating disorder like anorexia? Weiner: The cure rate for anorexia is over 80%, but it could take 7-10 years.  Brain maturation from teen years to mid-20's helps the recovery process.  I'm more optimistic about the outcomes, but still some patients can't be fixed (Dr. Weiner noted elsewhere that eating disorders have the highest fatality rate of all psychiatric illnesses). Examiner: What has changed about treatment in the past 10 years? Weiner: The biggest shift has been the focus on genetics, and the realization that eating disorders may be as heritiable as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder.  Research using neuroimaging opens up some exciting possibilities for understanding what happens in the brain in eating disordered people. Read more.

Eating Recovery Center and Pathlight Mood and Anxiety Center are accredited through the Joint Commission. This organization seeks to enhance the lives of the persons served in healthcare settings through a consultative accreditation process emphasizing quality, value and optimal outcomes of services.

Organizations that earn the Gold Seal of Approval™ have met or exceeded The Joint Commission’s rigorous performance standards to obtain this distinctive and internationally recognized accreditation. Learn more about this accreditation here.

Joint Commission Seal