Eating Disorder Center at San Antonio (EDCASA), a Joint Commission-accredited center for eating disorders treatment, has been renamed Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio.
The program name change from EDCASA to Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio seeks to communicate the medical and clinical excellence of its programs and services, as well as its intimate connection to Eating Recovery Center
, an international eating disorders treatment center providing all levels of care to women, men and children with the full range of eating disorder diagnoses.
“In light of growing regional demand for specialized eating disorders treatment, it is important that patients, families and referring professionals understand the benefit that results from our close collaboration and best practice sharing with Eating Recovery Center,” explains Susan Mengden, PhD, CEDS
, Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director of Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio.Kay Watt, MAPC, LPC, CEDS, Co-Founder and Co-Executive Director
added, “The program name Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio clearly acknowledges our strong connection to a leading international treatment provider, and communicates that the San Antonio-based programs and services match the treatment philosophy, medical and clinical interventions and eating disorders expertise of Eating Recovery Center’s Denver area programming.”
In an effort to meet the eating disorder treatment needs of patients and families in the region, Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio will relocate from 515 Busby Drive in San Antonio to 250 E. Basse Rd, Ste 206, a new, expanded space in the Quarry Market area of San Antonio. The relocation, slated for completion this summer, will nearly double the size of the San Antonio treatment center. Improvements include upgraded and expanded spaces for Partial Hospitalization and Intensive Outpatient Programs for adults and adolescents, creation of dedicated therapeutic space for programming, and the addition of a spacious, state-of-the-art teaching kitchen supporting hands-on culinary education and cooking groups.
While the name of the treatment center has changed to better communicate the medical and clinical excellence of the San Antonio programs and services and the connection to Eating Recovery Center, several important aspects of Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio’s treatment philosophy and leadership will not change, including:
- Individualized care. Eating disorder treatment at Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio is individualized to meet the recovery needs of each patient and family, addressing medical, psychiatric, therapeutic and dietary aspects of the illness to support lasting recovery.
- Compassionate experts. Founded in 2007 by nationally-recognized eating disorder treatment experts Susan Mengden and Kay Watt, Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio has recruited the leading medical, psychiatric, therapeutic and dietary eating disorder experts in the region to oversee the delivery of compassionate, comprehensive and effective care to patients and families alike. Susan Mengden and Kay Watt will continue to lead Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio to ensure clinical and medical excellence of care, and provide guidance and direction to the multidisciplinary staff.
- Family involvement. Treatment at Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio recognizes the valuable role that families play in the eating disorder recovery process. Family educational programming, family therapy and family meals are incorporated into treatment as necessary to educate, support and empower families of eating disordered patients.
- Medical and psychiatric support. Eating disorders are biologically-based mental illnesses that are often accompanied by serious medical complications. Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio’s medical and psychiatric team is highly skilled in the treatment of these complex illnesses.
- Ongoing support. In addition to comprehensive treatment in the Partial Hospitalization and Intensive Outpatient Programs, Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio provides ongoing recovery support to patients and families through thorough aftercare planning, alumni programming, outpatient appointments and regular support groups.
- Eating Recovery Center’sDenver-based behavioral hospitals will continue to serve as a resource for Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio patients requiring a higher level of care (Inpatient or Residential treatment). Following discharge from 24-hour care, patients will return to Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio to participate in the Partial Hospitalization, Intensive Outpatient and Outpatient programs.
For more information about Eating Recovery Center of San Antonio and its comprehensive outpatient eating disorder treatment programs and services, call (210) 920-7752, email us
, or chat confidentially with a Master’s-level eating disorders clinician in the upper right hand corner of your screen.