How is Compulsive Overeating Treated?
We recognize that both behavioral and biological factors contribute to being of a high weight, and that many overweight and obese individuals have a co-occurring eating disorder. Unlike a traditional weight-loss treatment center, however, our compulsive overeating treatment program is not an obesity treatment program or a weight management program.
Compulsive Overeating Treatment
Eating Recovery Center's compulsive overeating treatment program offers a comprehensive treatment solution to normalize eating patterns, stabilize medical comorbidities, control weight and improve quality of life issues.
Patients in our compulsive overeating treatment program may be looking to get help for one or more co-occurring conditions, including, but not limited to:
- Bulimia nervosa
- Binge eating disorder
- Night eating
- Emotional eating
- Stress eating
- Mood & anxiety disorders
At ERC, treatment takes place in a compassionate recovery community that understands what you are going through and that supports people of size.
What does compulsive overeating treatment look like?
Learning how to stop compulsive overeating requires a specialized treatment approach. Our compulsive overeating program offers intensive multidisciplinary treatment for overweight and obese adults and adolescents, including medical, psychiatric, behavioral and nutritional care.
Our compulsive overeating treatment program can help you:
- Interrupt or eliminate eating disordered behaviors, like binge eating
- Better manage stress and uncomfortable feelings
- Address co-morbid mood, anxiety, and substance use disorders that frequently co-occur with eating disorders
- Address weight-related medical issues
- Address body image disturbance
- Boost movement and activity levels
- Improve quality and quantity of sleep
- Decrease co-morbid compulsive behaviors (i.e., process addictions)
- Learn cutting-edge skills to address eating disordered behaviors, including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Acceptance & Commitment Therapy, and Exposure & Response Prevention
- Stabilize weight*
Three levels of care are available in the program to meet each patient's unique recovery needs:
- Residential Program
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Intensive Outpatient Program
Not sure what level of care is right for you? The appropriate level of care will be recommended following a thorough pre-admission assessment with an eating disorder therapist. You will progress through the levels of care as necessary, or you may discharge back to your home community following program completion.
*Patients will typically lose 5 to 15 percent of their body weight in this program. While weight loss is not specific a goal of treatment, it is a likely outcome of eliminating compulsive behaviors and stabilizing medical comorbidities.
Innovative treatment for compulsive overeating
Our compulsive overeating recovery program is designed to meet the treatment needs of higher weight and obese patients struggling with compulsive overeating. To learn more about how to stop overeating, please call us at 877-825-8584.
The Eating Recovery Center is the nation's only health care system dedicated to the treatment of compulsive overeating at all levels of care, including residential treatment, partial hospitalization treatment and intensive outpatient treatment.