Each instance of OSFED – orthorexia, body dysmorphia, exercise compulsion and diabulimia – has unique and distinct characteristics.
General disordered eating symptoms and signs can include but are not limited to:
- Restricting calories and/or self-starvation
- Binge eating
- Purging through means including self-induced vomiting, laxative abuse, diuretic abuse or compulsive exercise
- Distorted body image
- Strange rituals associated with food and/or eating
- Obsession with food cleanliness or purity
- Intense shame or anxiety related to food, eating or body image
- Obsessive exercise behavior
- Manipulation of insulin for weight loss
- Loss-of-control eating behaviors like night eating/nocturnal eating, eating past satiety, impulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors like hiding food, food obtaining and eating food out of the garbage
Please call if you see symptoms or signs of OSFED
OSFED can be difficult to detect and diagnose for those not well-versed in its many variations. Please call us at 877-825-8584 to schedule a free, confidential consultation with an ERC Masters-level clinician who can guide you through making the first steps towards treatment.