Symptoms & Warning Signs
- Restricting calories and/or self-starvation
- Binge eating
- Purging through means including self-induced vomiting, laxative abuse, diuretic abuse or compulsive exercise
- Distorted body image (body dysmorphic disorder)
- Strange rituals associated with food and/or eating
- Obsession with food cleanliness or purity (orthorexia)
- Intense shame or anxiety related to food, eating or body image
- Obsessive exercise behavior
- Manipulation of insulin for weight loss (diabulimia)
- Loss-of-control eating behaviors like night eating/nocturnal eating, eating past satiety, impulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors like hiding food, food obtaining and eating food out of the garbage
Know when to seek help for an eating disorder
Eating disorders can be difficult to detect and diagnose. Professional help is warranted and necessary for individuals to live a life free of their eating disorder.
Please call us at 877-825-8584 to schedule a free, confidential consultation with an ERC Masters-level clinician who can guide you through making the first steps towards treatment for OSFED.