A Brief Test for OSFED
Other specified feeding and eating disorders (OSFED) describes serious eating, food, exercise and body image symptoms and concerns that don’t meet the full diagnostic criteria for any other eating disorders. OSFED signs and symptoms include:
- Restricting calories and/or self-starvation
- Binge eating
- Purging through means including self-induced vomiting, laxative abuse, diuretic abuse or compulsive exercise
- Distorted body image (body dysmorphic disorder)
- Strange rituals associated with food and/or eating
- Obsession with food cleanliness or purity (orthorexia)
- Intense shame or anxiety related to food, eating or body image
- Obsessive exercise behavior
- Manipulation of insulin for weight loss (diabulimia)
- Loss-of-control eating behaviors like night eating/nocturnal eating, eating past satiety, impulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors like hiding food, food obtaining and eating food out of the garbage
To see if you or a loved one are struggling with an unspecified eating disorder, take our brief OSFED test today.
What is OSFED?
Other specified feeding and eating disorders are eating-related disorders that do not meet full criteria for another eating disorder. Conditions in this category typically include:
- Atypical anorexia, which has all of the same symptoms of anorexia nervosa, but without the very low body weight
- Binge eating or bulimia habits that do not meet full diagnostic criteria for binge eating disorder or bulimia nervosa
- Night eating syndrome, which is when someone consumes at least 25 percent of their daily calories later in the evening or in the middle of the night
- Purging disorder, where one gets rid of food by vomiting, misusing medications or other means
Take Our OSFED Quiz
Our therapists are licensed, qualified, and ready to help.
Please note: this online eating disorder screening test is not intended to diagnose an illness. If you are struggling with eating disorder behaviors, we encourage you to call us at 877-825-8584 or find an experienced eating disorder treatment professional near you. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please dial 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
Discover More Eating Disorder Screening Tests
There are many different types of eating disorders. All are associated with many serious health complications and risks. See additional eating disorder screening tests below.
Get Help for OSFED
With the right care, those suffering from OSFED can experience a full recovery. If you suspect that you or someone you know is suffering from OSFED, please call us at 877-825-8584 to schedule a free, confidential consultation with one of our Master's-level clinicians. We would be happy to help you learn more about eating disorders and the appropriate treatment options.
OSFED vs. EDNOS
Other specified feeding and eating disorders is a newer term replacing the term “eating disorders not otherwise specified (EDNOS)” in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). The term “OSFED” may be less well-known than the names of other eating disorders, like anorexia and bulimia, but OSFED is still quite common and dangerous. At times, OSFED can even be deadly. The health risks associated with OSFED are numerous and varied, stemming from a number of maladaptive eating and exercise behaviors.